On this page, we explain in plain language who owns the images obtained through Telescope Live and which rights you have to use them.
Telescope Live provides images in FITS format (the Original FITS Images) obtained from a network of telescopes through different observing modalities.
The Original FITS Images can be calibrated using Calibration Images. Telescope Live provides FITS Images that are already calibrated, but the more expert users can calibrate the FITS Images by themselves using the Calibration Images provided by Telescope Live.
Subscribers can use and post-process these FITS images to generate high-quality astrophotography pictures (the Post-Processed Images).
Original FITS Images and Calibration Images
- FITS images obtained through Advanced Requests are owned by the user who submits the Advanced Requests. Telescope Live will keep a broad license to these FITS Images so that they can be stored indefinitely in our servers, even if the user unsubscribes or deletes its account.
- FITS images obtained through One-Click Observations and Pro Datasets are owned by Telescope Live. These FITS images cannot be redistributed, and can exclusively be used by the Telescope Live subscriber who downloads them. The user has a license to use such images to generate Post-Processed Images. The resulting Post-Processed Images are then owned by the user (see below).
- All Calibration Images are owned by Telescope Live, regardless of the observing modality used. Telescope Live subscribers have a license to use any calibration image to calibrate and process their images.
- Any post-processed image obtained from any observing modality (One-Click-Observations, Pro Datasets, or Advanced Requests) is owned by the user who creates the image. There is no need to credit Telescope Live, and Telescope Live holds no rights to the image.
- If you post the post-processed image to the Telescope Live gallery, you retain ownership of the image but grant Telescope Live a limited license to use, store and make it available to third parties.