With this mode, you don't have to think about when your observations will be scheduled. This is the recommended option for most observations as it guarantees full delivery of your images, and best priority in the schedule meeting your observation constraints. Requests that fail (or partially fail) due to weather or downtimes are automatically resubmitted giving you the highest priority in the queue.
With automated scheduling:
- If you book earlier, you will get a higher priority in the queue. Critically this priority is maintained when your observations fail due to poor weather. If part of your observations fail, it is very likely that they will be obtained within one or two days.
- You can select your scheduling constraints, namely the minimum target altitude and the moon avoidance constraint. For moon avoidance, you can either choose to observe your target when the moon is below the horizon, or if you allow for the moon be above the horizon you can see the maximum moon illumination allowed (discounts apply here), and the minimum distance of your target from the moon.
- Once you press submit, your session will be automatically scheduled. The scheduler will book your session at the first available slot, so there is no point in trying to get an earlier slot using Custom scheduling.
- You will receive an email giving you the estimated completion time. You will also able to monitor the estimated completion time in your Request Summary.
Additional notes on moon avoidance constraint:
- If you select 50% you will get a 10% discount, and the target will be observed when the moon is between 25% and 50%. However, if the telescope schedule is empty and no other observations are scheduled, we will observe your target at lower illuminations (0 to 25%), or even when the moon is below the horizon, at no additional cost. The same is valid when you select 75% or 100%.